Thursday, September 24, 2009

Texas Wedding Photography - Wendi Poole


Today's Texas Wedding Photographer feature is of Wendi Poole of Thompson Poole. The talent in Texas is amazing. Wendi considers Austin and San Antonio her wedding home base, but recently has expanded into the Houston market. Be sure and visit the Thompson Poole website and blog

You can reach Thompson Poole by calling
Denise Cornell, Owner / Client Relations 512.484.1523
Wendi Poole, Owner / Photographer
Follow them on twitter:
@wendipoole (Wendi)
Email: denise {at} thompsonpoole {dot} com


I love your company name, Thomspon Poole, how did it come to be?

Thompson is my maiden name and Poole is my married name.


I know this is cliche, but how would you describe your style?

Storytelling. I am a working photojournalist and I photograph weddings like I do any other editorial
assignment; I tell the story of the event.

What is your favorite aspect of the job?

Meeting people and watching families come together. I love knowing that the photos I take have meaning and will be cherished and shared for generations to come.


How many people shoot for Thompson Poole?

I am always the lead photographer. We also have a pool of working photojournalists that we use as second shooters.

What is the starting investment for a wedding?

Wedding coverage starts at
$4500

Favorite part of the wedding day?

Oh, this is hard. I love it when the bride and groom first see each other. I also like it when the couple leaves the reception and everyone is saying goodbye. And, Dad’s first dance with the bride is always awesome; the way he looks at his daughter is priceless. I could go on and on.


Greatest length to get the perfect shot?

I've been in cherry pickers, waist deep in water and even in the operating room for an open heart surgery -- but not at weddings! For weddings I'll climb, crawl and squeeze into weird places to get that perfect shot...but usually without anyone, especially the bride and groom, seeing or hearing a thing. I love it when a bride declares, 'How did you get that shot? I didn't even know you were there!'


Anything else we should know about Thompson Poole?

I like sweets and baked goods and if you get me talking about food you might regret it.
Jennifer says: I hear you are quite the baker, I accept baked goods any day of the week.


Childhood Ambition?

I grew up in Pensacola, FL, home of the amazing Blue Angels. So first I wanted to be a navy pilot then an astronaut, but getting eye glasses in high school dashed any hopes of being a military pilot. I then turned my focus to journalism and soon learned that I write like I talk -- ramble, ramble, using a thousand words to describe a moment that could have been captured in just a few. At the urging of my photographer father I picked up a camera and discovered I could capture those same moments in a heartbeat -- in my pictures. I knew immediately I had found my calling and off to Photojournalism school I went. As they say, the rest is history.

Dream Vacation? I love to travel and explore new places. Some of my top destinations are: England, repeat my honeymoon trip to Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, the Bahamas.

Favorite animal at the zoo?
I LOVE Penguins!

Can't live without? God, candy, my Husband

Hidden talent?
I am a mean pinball player. I bet I could take on Tommy.

Best compliment ever received? This note to one of our brides from her brother made me blush. “THOSE ARE THE BEST WEDDING PICTURES I'VE EVER SEEN!!!! Do you know if Thompson Poole has a time machine so I can have them do my wedding five years ago???”

If you weren't a photographer, what would you be? Let’s see, a doctor, a pilot, a pastry chef. I think that covers it for this week. Check back next week for an update.

Describe your perfect day? Any day I can smile when I wake up and when I go to sleep. It also helps if chocolate and cake are involved.








3 comments:

Merrick Photography said...

I love the emotion in some of these images - you've done a great job and I'm sure your clients will be thrilled with everything you do!

Paul Conrad said...

These are really nice images Wendi.

Keep up the tremendous work!

pablo

Bobby Arispe said...

Wendi is an absolutely amazing photographer. Her ability to tell the entire story with just one picture is truly special and can only come from a true photojournalist. Her ability to interact with people and her fun-loving nature helps people to be so comfortable and reveal those candid moments. She recently covered my little sister's wedding and I was so excited to see the final images and relive that day through her camera lens.